...from one of the many who have done it.
1. Eggnog or hot chocolate?
Neither are good for me anymore, but I buy some eggnog when it shows up in the stores. I can have it (moderation, people!). Even better with a touch or two of bourbon!
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set the under the tree?
In my youth, he pretty much dumped them under the tree. He started taking the time to wrap them all after awhile. Anymore, I'm lucky to get them in the UPS box he ships them in...
3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white?
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
I haven't in years. However, when in college, I'd pin some to the roof of my car above the driver's seat. Generally was effective until about April!
5. When do you put your decorations up?
If I put any up, it's usually the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm generally busy with concerts during the first part of December, so if I don't do it then, I won't get it done at all.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Dinners tend to be nothing spectacular, but my family knocks themselves out with appetizers (usually making dinner unnecessary)!
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Watching/helping Dad put tinsel on the tree. ONE.STRAND.AT.A.TIME!!! And playing the same stack of LPs of Christmas music, over and over for days.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Don't really know exactly when. I didn't ever 'learn' the truth. Then again, I never really got the 'birds & bees' speech either.
9. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve?
My sisters always did, but being the oldest, I would resist temptation. Obviously leaving more for me in the morning!
10. What kind of cookies does Santa get set out for him?
Santa doesn't get cookies or anything else when he comes around here.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
A white Christmas is preferable to the brown Christmases we've been having recently. However, it really doesn't have to be windy too!
12. Can you ice skate?
Not since I was in middle school. Weak ankles have never been my friend.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Sadly, I don't. I'm sure there was something stunning at one point, but I couldn't tell you what.
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Povitica. Google it if you need to. The finest povitica I had come from an old lady in Butte who would spend 12-16 hours a day, every day starting in mid-November to make enough for everyone who placed orders. When she died, part of my Christmas experience died with her. Sure, there's other old ladies in Butte who make it, but hers was the best!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
In my college days, it was going out with a bunch of musicians and playing Christmas music on the streets. Preferably near a bar... More recently, it's been playing brass music for Midnight Mass, then driving around town at 2AM to check out the Christmas lights.
17. What tops your tree?
An angel that a student gave to me over two decades ago. It used to light up, but they don't work anymore. Still, it looks good up there!
18. What do you prefer… giving or receiving?
Giving, when I can. Depends on cash flow each year though. As for receiving...not really a major concern for me anymore.
19. What is your favorite Christmas carol?
"Angels We Have Heard On High" or "Joy to the World" for a carol. For a Christmas song, I'd go with "Sleigh Ride" or "Carol of the Bells".
20. Candy canes…yum or yuck?
Not a big fan, but I don't dislike them either.
21. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Not that I remember...
22. Favorite Christmas movie?
"White Christmas". Or "Christmas Vacation". Sort of depends on my mood.
23. Do you have a nativity scene?
I've got a beautiful crystal one that hasn't been put up in ages. Might have to pull it out still.
24. What is the most annoying thing about this time of year?
People trying to one-up each other--decorations, gifts, food--whatever. Causes far too much stress!
OK--it's 11:59 PM right now. Merry Christmas everyone!!!